Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Career Advice

The most well-know successful business people all have something in common- they all are working out of their strengths. They found what they do well at and worked to do more of it. They learned how to network, delegate, problem solve, and use other people's strengths where they were personally weaker. I read a book once about this idea of building up a career based on knowing your strengths. The book even came with a code to take an online quiz that would help the reader pinpoint his or her own strengths.

Over the years I've taken several career aptitude tests, all of which recommended pursing a career in the arts or becoming a teacher. Oddly enough these past several months there have been people who have suggested that I look into becoming a Certified Nurses Assistant. As I talked to God about it and researched it, I came across a book that is a collection of writings by Mother Teresa. Ever been hit in the stomach so hard you couldn't breath for a moment? It was like that. Reading her words was similar to having light pour into my heart. God basically reached down and went, "this is what I want you to do." Being a CNA is in every way, no exaggeration, out of my comfort zone. Today was my first day of training and I'm going to be very honest, I was afraid to go.

When I moved to a completely new state to attend a college where I knew no one, I was so confident and self-assured. I knew everything was going to work out and that I was going to do well. (My best friend says I can be "too confident and cocky".) Not many people would be that comfortable in the same situation. I've never been afraid of new jobs, new classes, moving, or pretty much any other 'big decision' moves. But this, becoming a nurse's assistant, this makes me timid and realize how I really don't know anything. I was afraid. I was terrified by the thought of failing, something I've never even done. I've never failed, really failed, at anything. My lowest grade I've ever receive was a C+ because I didn't try... But even without trying, I didn't fail.

So what's the big deal with becoming a Nurse's Assistant? It is something I can't do. Let me say that again. Being a CNA is something I can't do. Emphasis on the "I" part. I can be a teacher, a writer, a painter, anything with the fine arts, even a musician. I can be an entrepreneur, a dentist, or even a lawyer. I've thought about being plenty of other things because I know I can do them.

So why am I becoming a CNA? Because of the same reason why I'm afraid, because I can't do it. This isn't about facing my fears. No, this is about not relying on my own abilities, talents, and strengths. This in fact isn't about me at all. This is about relying and trusting God. This is about Him. This is about Him loving people through me, this is about me loving Him through loving people. This is about Him taking care of His creation, His beloved people. This is all about Him. I am going to have to living in Him in order to not only survive, but to do well. I am going to have to turn to God all the time, to let Him shine through me to be able to be patient, compassionate and loving.

I'm learning humility, submission, and true reliance on God. It's not easy... but it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment