Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Taking A Deeper Prespective

I used to design tattoos. I have a tattoo too and I love it. I have numerous friends with tattoos that are meaningful, beautiful, and little works of art. Tattoos are a way of expressing yourself. Many people get them for specific reasons or because they just like the piece. I am in fact not against tattoos, just to be clear. However, I resign from continuing to design them. Let me explain.

 Since having started studying the Theology of the Body, I've come to have a greater appreciation for the works of art God made. He sculpted each person and uniquely designed them. I've come to see the person as incredibly beautiful and a reminder of God, we are made by Him and His finger prints are ALL OVER us. We are made with that deep specialness of being made, in a way, like Him.

There are many branches of art: folk art, kitsch art, cartoon art, modern art, and there is great art. Great Art I'm discovering is made with intention, skill, and meaning. Great Art points us to something, it is like a guiding light to something far more important than itself. You can find it in many places, in many styles and time periods. The Sistine Chapel is example of great art. It does more than show off skill and talent of Michelangelo. The Sistine Chapel also does more than communicate a simple message to the viewer, it directs us to someone, to something greater than these other things.

But back to tattoos. Tattoos, while they can be meaningful for the person getting them, and they can be beautiful or works of art, it is comparable to having someone painting over the Sistine Chapel. Sure while the new painting may be beautiful, a good reminder, or yes, even points to something very important, it simply cannot compare to the original work of art. I do have a tattoo, just in case you forgot, and I LIKE IT.

What I am trying to say is this: we are great works of God's art. Let us discover the depth of this fact more, especially before we add our own bit of art to it. I am not saying "don't get a tattoo," or even, "tattoos are wrong." I am saying that let us first learn to see the great works of art that we already are before we continue to change it in such a permanent way. And I am also saying, that for me, I am not going to continue to design tattoos or get them. They can be beautiful and the people with them are NOT any less beautiful, however I think the original art isn't valued enough. I want people to understand and value their own bodies more.

And yes, this can apply to more than just tattoos, but for now that is all I am covering in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment