Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Little Experiment!

On my bathroom counter is a large number of various products: facial products, hair products, teeth cleaning stuff and lots of make up! I honestly considered becoming a make up artist for quite some time. Underneath the counter is another makeup bag (or two) filled with eye shadows, lipsticks, lip glosses, blushes, concealers, and serums. I spend at least an hour a day getting ready in front of the bathroom mirror doing my hair and make up.

There is nothing wrong with taking care of and grooming one's self. I believe that making myself look my best is actually good! But I also have to admit I things are out of order for me. Focusing on how one looks is all well and good, but when it goes into nitpicking about this and that it probably isn't the best.

On the inner side of this experiment are the questions of self value, respect, worth and confidence. How much confidence do I have without my makeup crutch? Can I still communicate self value, respect and worth without using make up to do so? Will I still feel and think that I am beautiful without my daily dose of mascara, eye shadow, concealer, foundation, blush, bronzer, eye liner, and lip gloss? And to think that's a short list compared to some... Will it change how I see myself?

How about the social implications? Will it change how others perceive and react to me? Will others still tell me I'm pretty without make up? Will I change in how I see and interact with those around me?

It may change me in physical ways too. Will the no-make up regimen improve my skin's health, condition and texture? Better yet, will I have fewer or no break outs?? Will my break outs heal faster? Has my make up use actually help prevent breakouts, (like some of the products claim)?

Then there's the spiritual side too. How much do I focus on the way I look? How could I use that excess time and energy is better ways? Will it change the way I view Him and others? Can I give over that desire for control over the way I look and am perceived by people? Can I give up my need to make sure I look like I want to and change it with enjoy how I actually look? Will I feel less pressured to cut my time with God in the morning in exchange for getting put together? Will I know what beauty is and means to me or continue as before?

With all of these questions that come to mind with going sans make up, I feel compelled to test it. Until July 3, 2011 I'm going to leave my makeup under the bathroom counter. No mascara, which will probably be the most difficult to give up! No concealer and hello under eye bags! Maybe this will push me to go to bed at more normal hour? Who knows?

And here's the clincher- if I go out on a date I will still go without.

OK so there is this spider in my room that I caught in a cup and I feel horrible because I accidentally cut one of its legs off... I very much dislike and am rather afraid of spiders, but I hate killing or hurting them. This sucks.

So yeah till July 3 no make up for me. Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment