Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Love Project Already Making A Difference

"If I don't love people then who will? And if I don't love them, how will they know that Christ loves them?" -C.R.J.
Yesterday I said I was going to try a new experiment and I wasn't expecting to see it make a difference already. This is the story of my best friend.

My best friend while in high school had gotten then girlfriend pregnant. Not long after his 18th birthday he became a father to a little boy. Now their little boy spends about half his time with either parent going in-between houses. My best friend is one of the most caring, dedicated and wonderful fathers I have ever met, (and I've met some really good fathers). He not only provides for the needs of his now four year-old son but also goes above and beyond as the mother has been quietly slipping out of the picture. My best friend balances taking college classes, working 12 hr. days as a non-medical transportationist when he doesn't have his son and is working on becoming a paramedic and fireman. Like so many other people he doesn't realize how amazing he is or at least it's easy to forget.

Last night I was inspired to write him a short letter. I had asked him earlier during a phone call a question about feeling loved and he told me of the times when he felt the most loved by me that really opened my eyes. His primary love language is physical touch and in a close second is words of affirmation.

Today while spending the whole day with my best friend, his son, and a few others friends I noticed that he was 'off,' something was bugging him, that there was something wrong. Things improved as the day went on. But it wasn't until we all parted ways and he drove me home that the problem came into the light.

As a single parent, my best friend was struggling with the realization that he can't do it all for his son and it was killing him. This combined with a few other issues had been weighing on him for the last week or so. He saw the mountain of responsibilities he had before him and just didn't feel like he was handling them well.

Parking on the side of the street I asked him to read the letter I wrote him. His son, next to me, had fallen asleep. We sat in silence for a bit after he completed reading. We talked, hugged and when we parted ways I could see the weight had been lifted at least a little, the worry was gone from his face and he could smile easily again.

About an hour ago he texted me saying that the letter and talk really helped and he was very thankful. He was back to being himself. He needed recognition, words of affirmation- truth and love to be poured into him. He needed someone who loved him to hug him and lovingly touch him. And what I believe God inspired me to write (things that I had no idea about) was exactly what he needed to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment